Monday 3 October 2016

Adventures of a housewife

So - just over a month ago I was made redundant. For the moment, therefore, I am an aspiring writer
and actual housewife.

I've been trying hard to come up with a cleaning schedule that doesn't take too much time out of my day (I really do want to be focusing on my writing, and on some goal setting and other self-care type things) and nothing has been sticking so far.

But for ages I've loved the Spotless books by Shannon Lush and Jennifer Fleming.  I have the books in my reference library and pull them out any time I spill anything. (With our two gorgeous cats I am looking forward to getting my hands on Spotless Pets, believe me!)  And their book Speedcleaning is exactly what I needed right now.

Over the weekend I've been reading the book cover to cover: sorted out what the best order for the rooms during the week was (my main thing was putting the kitchen on the day before the bins are collected: important for cleaning out the fridge!) and put together my cleaning kit and clutter basket (see photo).  I also put the tasks into my Home Routines app which - when I use it properly - is really useful for me.

Today was my first proper day of using the Speed Cleaning schedule. What I have to keep reminding myself is that I'm starting from messy: the whole house is not going to be perfect and sparkling after one day.  In fact, I probably shouldn't expect a perfectly clean house after one whole week.  The daily tasks are also taking longer than I'd like today, but again, that's because I'm not starting from tidy.  I need to not be too hard on myself, and celebrate the achievements I've made not what I haven't got done.

No comments:

Post a Comment